Finalist for Best Music School in Willamette Week’s Best of Portland, 2019!
Mount Tabor Music School is not your average music school…
Mount Tabor Music School, founded February 2018, utilizes a “salon model” – meaning each teacher is an independent contractor who rents their own room.
There are high standards in place for selecting our teachers.
MTMS only chooses teachers who are:
- Highly trained and experienced musicians.
- Experienced teachers, either in the classroom or privately (or both).
- Devoted to prioritizing the well-being of the student over the lesson plan for the day.
- Safe and welcoming for all families and people.
Each teacher has also passed a professional background check to ensure comfort and safety for all.
The salon model often means our school feels different than others.
- There’s frequently just one teacher at a time here as we all run different schedules.
- All communication about lessons, payments, etc happens directly with your teacher, rather than with an administrator.
- Students can always expect to be in the same studio with the same teacher, rather than being moved around as administrators re-assign studios.
It also means that our teachers commit to our space because it’s their space too. And the security that comes from that long-term relationship ripples out to our students, and their relationships with both their teachers and their instruments.
Our teachers believe in the power of music education so much that they’ve devoted their careers to it.
And Mount Tabor Music School is dedicated to finding and nurturing the very best teachers.